- ❝ Well, it's not the heaven or hell idea that you were raised on. But generally speaking, in the afterlife, there's a Good Place and there's a Bad Place. You're in The Good Place ❞
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Eleanor Shellstrop awakens in a room she does not recognize, with the words "Welcome! Everything Is Fine." written on the wall. A man named Michael then opens the door and beckons her to come into his office. Michael informs Eleanor that she's died, killed after a line of shopping carts in the parking lot of a supermarket pushed her into the oncoming path of a truck, and the space they are in is a Heaven-like utopia called "The Good Place."
Michael gives her a tour throughout the Good Place neighborhood she'll be residing in before getting her to meet with newcomers and watch an informational video. In the video, Michael explains that every action humans make in their life gives them either positive or negative points depending on their choices. After a person dies, their total points are tallied and only people with very high scores are allowed into the Good Place. Eleanor earned her spot for her work as a lawyer that defended innocent people on death row and championed for human rights. Also, every person in the Good Place has a soulmate, a person with which to spend their eternal life together.
After presenting Eleanor with a house designed specifically for her tastes, Michael introduces her to her soulmate, Chidi Anagonye, a Senegalese ethics and philosophy professor. When Michael leaves, Eleanor reveals to Chidi that everything Michael said about her life is wrong and she's not the person he says she is. Eleanor made a living by knowingly selling fake medicine to the sick and elderly and was crass and selfish, unable to recall doing any kind or altruistic deed in her life. Michael then introduces Eleanor and Chidi to Tahani Al-Jamil, a wealthy British socialite who earned her spot for her extensive charity work, and her soulmate Jianyu Li, a Buddhist monk who is still keeping to his vow of silence. He also introduces them to Janet, an AI construct and source for all the knowledge in the universe who runs the neighborhood and can grant a resident anything they desire.
While at a party hosted by Tahani and Jianyu at their mansion, Chidi begins to question whether he should help Eleanor or not. The next morning, Eleanor wakes up to discover that many things that represent her crass comments about her life and her insults to Tahani at the party have taken on a physical form and are wreaking havoc on the neighborhood. Chidi tells her that remaining in the Good Place is cause for the incident and her actions are affecting it. Eleanor begs Chidi to help her become a better person just as Michael knocks on the door to inform them of an emergency meeting.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jianyu Li
- and Ted Danson as Michael
- Bambadjan Bamba as Bambadjan
- Seth Morris as Wallace (flashback)
- Jill Remez as Gloria
- Ruman Kazi as Sachveer
- John Hartman as Joe (flashback)
- Jamila Webb as Good Woman
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- It is written by series creator Michael Schur and directed by Drew Goddard.
- "The Giraffe" and "The Lady Bug" elements was originally an off screen joke.
- "Chapter 1" attracted 8.04 Million Viewers.
- The music that sounds in the background at the party is an aria from Mozart's The Magic Flute called Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The gallery of Chapter 1 can be found Here