- ❝ Well, it's not the heaven or hell idea that you were raised on. But generally speaking, in the afterlife, there's a Good Place and there's a Bad Place. You're in The Good Place ❞
Thanks to some kind of error, Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell), an ordinary woman, enters the afterlife and is sent to the Good Place—which is definitely not where she belongs. While hiding in plain sight from Michael (Ted Danson), the wise architect of the Good Place who is unaware that he's made a mistake, she's determined to shed her old way of living and discover the awesome person within. Helping Eleanor navigate her new surroundings are Chidi (William Jackson Harper), her kind, open-hearted "soulmate" who sees the good in people but finds himself facing quite a dilemma; her frustratingly perfect new neighbors, Tahani (Jameela Jamil) and Jianyu (Manny Jacinto); and Janet (D'Arcy Carden), a walking, talking source for all the knowledge in the universe.
Eleanor Shellstrop wakes up in an afterlife utopia called "The Good Place," where she is welcomed by her neighborhood architect Michael. Michael tells her she's in the Good Place and explains about it. Eleanor quickly asks if Michael is God in a sense.
Jokingly, he responds that he is at a low stage compared to the Ultimate Frog-God. The criteria for entry to The Good Place is based on doing good in the world, and only a very small percentage of people qualify. Michael praises Eleanor for being a lawyer who got innocent people off death row. Michael escorts her to a home designed with all of her preferences in mind, and where she can access memories from her life.
Everyone in the good place has a soul mate. Eleanor's is Chidi Anagonye, a Senegalese ethics professor.
However, Eleanor reveals to Chidi that all of Michael's information about her is wrong—the biography, memories, and house are someone else's. In reality, she was crass and uncaring. Eleanor made a living by knowingly selling a worthless supplement to the sick and elderly. Chidi experiences a moral crisis over whether or not to help Eleanor stay in the Good Place. Eleanor becomes frustrated and angry at a party hosted by her neighbors, soul mates Tahani Al-Jamil and Jason Mendoza.
The next morning, the neighborhood comes under attack by representations of elements from Eleanor's life and her misbehavior since she arrived in the good place. Eleanor and Chidi recognize that she doesn't belong there, and could be sent to the Bad Place. To avoid this, Eleanor asks Chidi to teach her how to be good.
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jianyu Li
- and Ted Danson as Michael
- Bambadjan Bamba as Bambadjan
- Seth Morris as Wallace (flashback)
- Jill Remez as Gloria
- Ruman Kazi as Sachveer
- John Hartman as Joe (flashback)
- Jamila Webb as Good Woman
- It is written by series creator Michael Schur and directed by Drew Goddard.
- "The Giraffe" and "The Lady Bug" elements was originally an off screen joke.
- "Chapter 1" attracted 8.04 Million Viewers.
- The music that sounds in the background at the party is an aria from Mozart's The Magic Flute called Der Vogelfänger bin ich ja.
The gallery of Chapter 1 can be found Here