Technical difficulties, please stand by— When the Neighborhood experiences a small glitch, Michael (Ted Danson) has to resolve the issue with Janet (D'Arcy Carden) before it gets out of control.
Before beginning his experiment, Michael stole Janet from a warehouse and claimed to be a Good Place architect. He lied to her in the beginning days as they built the fake Good Place neighborhood together. Now, Michael has to troubleshoot Janet and figure out what is causing her to glitch out while Vicky is distracted by torturing Chidi with needles.
Janet's manual suggests the glitches are being caused by falsehoods; Michael blames himself for lying about the neighborhood's nature, figuring that having a Good Place Janet working in the Bad Place goes against her innate programming. But when a glitch occurs while Janet talks to Tahani and Jason about their relationship, he realizes the problem is Janet's own subconscious lies; she isn't really happy for the couple, because she still retains her old love for Jason.
Janet advises Michael to activate her self-destruct mechanism, stating it's the only way to stop things from getting worse. Michael ultimately refuses to do so, however, as he considers Janet his friend.
Instead, they solicit Eleanor's advice; Eleanor successfully talks Janet through processing her human emotions. Acting on Eleanor's recommendation of a rebound relationship, Janet creates a boyfriend, Derek, whose mental state is infantile, excitable and has low concentration.
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet/Bad Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jason Mendoza
- and Ted Danson as Michael
- The lobby greeting is back to saying "Welcome. Everything is fine!" from the first season, which changed to "Everything is great!" at the beginning of season 2.
- The character of Derek exists to "forget about Jason" according to Janet (D'Arcy Carden). The actor who plays Derek is actually named Jason - Jason Mantzoukas
- Marc Evan Jackson (Shawn) and Jason Mantzoukas (Derek) have both worked on Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2013) as Kevin Cozner and Adrian Pimento respectively. Michael Schur created both Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Good Place.