Michael intervenes in the near-death accidents of Eleanor, Chidi, Tahani and Jason on Earth, in hopes that a second chance at life allows them to become better versions of themselves.
There Michael prevents all of the fours deaths by intervening in some way. He and Janet watch as the foursome live their lives but learn that they aren't exactly model citizens.
Eleanor explains to Chidi how she's trying to be a better person, and asks him to be her moral guide. He says yes, because of his own near-death experience. He tells her about working with Simone, a neuroscience professor at the university.
Simone has him undergo an MRI, and shows him that his brain is perfectly fine. This leads to him making a flurry of decisions, like deciding to spend less time on his thesis, and more time with Simone.
But a string of unfortunate events, like his coworker breaking both of his legs at the gym, leads him back to his old ways. The only reason he said yes to helping Eleanor is because Michael nudged him in the direction of helping other people besides himself.
Meanwhile, Shawn is trying to figure out how the group is doing on Earth but he can't seem to hack into Judge Gen's system. Eleanor notices that Chidi and Simone like each other but haven't done anything about it. So Eleanor intervenes and helps Chidi ask Simone out. This upsets Michael because Eleanor and Chidi are supposed to be soulmates. He decides to go back to Earth and get Jason and Tahani to Australia.
This actually gives Shawn a backdoor into the Judge's system and Shawn is now able to see how all four humans are doing.
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jason Mendoza
- and Ted Danson as Michael
- Mike O'Malley as The Doorman
- Marc Evan Jackson as Shawn
- Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Simone Garnett
- Eugene Cordero as Pillboi
- Andrew Bering as François Lloyd-Tort
- Matthew Foster as Len Bee
- Joe Mande as Toddrick Hemple (voice)
- Josh Siegal as Glenn
- Lisandra Tena as Officer K. Ramirez
- Prudence Vindin as Nurse Pat
"Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx is played to motivate the demons.
The Good JokesEdit
- ❝ I’m gonna sit in a front facing seat! Or no, maybe a sideways facing seat! I’m gonna get so motion sick! ❞
- ❝ It’s not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Lama texted me that ❞
- ❝ I’m a trash bag from Arizona, which is saying something. Our biggest exports are racist sheriffs and HPV ❞