- ❝ Tahani might be a little British and condescending at times, but she devoted her entire life to helping other people. She's a good person. Accept that. ❞
- —Chidi, to Eleanor
Plot[edit | edit source]
Chidi begins formally teaching Eleanor ethics, and the first lesson is to be kind to your neighbor, which Eleanor is loathe to do considering her distaste for Tahani. Michael and Janet help Chidi find a new, exciting hobby.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Eleanor suspects Tahani may have written the note telling her she doesn't belong in the Good Place, especially because she's annoyed by Tahani's condescending and haughty attitude. She is determined to prove Tahani has some dark secret and believes Tahani isn't as good as she purports to be. This attitude is a holdover from a belief she held in her life that everyone is out for themselves and has some ulterior motive, which she expressed once to her then-boyfriend Sam. Sam was a kind and understanding person who always made a conscious effort to be good, but Eleanor believed that being good is pointless and too much work in a world full of bad things. Sam nevertheless believed that the effort was still important. This difference in philosophies later led to them breaking up. Ultimately, Eleanor accepts that Tahani is genuinely good and begins to form a real friendship with her, comforting her over her dissatisfaction with Jianyu's continued vow of silence.
Michael tries to get Chidi to take up a hobby, but Chidi only wants to work on his book about ethics. It's 3,600 pages long, and Michael gave up halfway through trying to read it, calling it convoluted, messy and confusing. He agrees to become Chidi's advisor.
Janet cycles through a series of bizarre personalities and spouting off strange "fun facts" (such as the fact that Christopher Columbus is in the Bad Place for committing genocide against the natives of the island he landed on) as she's being reprogrammed to act more human.
Michael recruits Eleanor to help investigate the problems in the neighborhood. Later that night, Eleanor gets another letter from the person who knows her secret, telling her to meet with them in a secluded area in the neighborhood. Jianyu is revealed to be the one who wrote the note; breaking his vow of silence, he confronts Eleanor, speaking to reveal that he knows she doesn't belong... and then he reveals he also doesn't belong in The Good Place either.
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jianyu Li
- and Ted Danson as Michael
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- ❝Tahani – So Tahani actually means 'Congragulations' in Arabic and Al-Jamil means beautiful so my full name altogether means-
- Eleanor – Congragulations, beautiful❞
- ―Thanks Eleanor, you big flirt. Boop!
- ❝Chidi – I prefer to take my time with things
- Michael – Yes, I know. You never even named your dog, did you? When it ran away, you posted signs saying "responds to long pauses"❞
- ―Oh boy
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The gallery for Chapter 3: Tahani Al-Jamil can be found Here
Notes and references[edit | edit source]