- ❝ When I say I'm meditating, I'm just trying to figure out what the fork is happening. I think we might be in an alien zoo or on a prank show. ❞
Eleanor faces her toughest test yet in her attempt to remain in hiding. Meanwhile, Michael enlists Tahani to help a fellow neighbor fulfill her true purpose.
"Jianyu" reveals to Eleanor that like her, he's not who Michael thinks he is. Rather than a Taiwanese monk, he's really an amateur DJ and drug dealer from Jacksonville, Florida, named Jason Mendoza, who went along with Michael mistaking him as a silent Buddhist monk in order to avoid detection.
His supposed "meditation room" which Tahani is not allowed to enter is in fact a "bud-hole", a man-cave room full of posters of his favorite musicians, a large TV and video games he plays with. Eleanor and Chidi try to persuade Jason not to reveal his true identity.
Meanwhile, Tahani is given the task of organizing the gala opening of a new restaurant, The Good Plates, at which each diner is served their favorite meal. The opening goes wrong when Michael asks the diners to tell the story of what their meal means to them.
Tiring of the masquerade, Jason decides he's going to tell the truth, forcing Eleanor to stop him by creating a diversion. She punches a hole through an elaborate celebration cake, which causes a sink hole to open up in the floor. The restaurant is evacuated, and Eleanor and Jason's secrets are safe for the time being. However, when Tahani later visits the sinkhole, it turns out to be growing.
- Kristen Bell as Eleanor Shellstrop
- William Jackson Harper as Chidi Anagonye
- Jameela Jamil as Tahani Al-Jamil
- D'Arcy Carden as Janet
- Manny Jacinto as Jason Mendoza
- and Ted Danson as Michael
- First broadcast audience: 4.45 million
- When Michael tells Tahani he plans to wear suspenders, her momentary confusion is caused by a difference in meaning between British and American English. Suspenders in British English are what Americans would call garters, and what an American would call suspenders, a British English speaker would call braces.
- When they were alive on Earth, Eleanor made money by selling fake drugs to old people, and Jason made money by selling fake drugs to young people.
The gallery of Chapter 4: Jason Mendoza can be found Here.