Derek Hofstetler is a character in The Good Place, created by Janet.
Derek was created by Janet when Eleanor Shellstrop suggests that she get another boyfriend to forget about her feelings for Jason Mendoza and her consequent jealousy of Jason and Tahani's relationship. During his and Janet's brief relationship he appears whenever she is summoned.
Their relationship deteriorates rapidly over a matter of hours, and they fight intensely. This compromises Janet's functionality and threatens to reveal the humans' secrets to Vicky.
Eventually Janet decides to dispose of Derek, which involves re-absorbing much of her essence she had given him from his body. This reduces him to a simple, compliant state, only able to say his own name. Janet puts him in a box and places him in a corner of her void.
He is retrieved in Chapter 22 as part of the humans' escape plan. As a diversionary tactic, and as a present to Mindy St. Claire, he was sent to the Medium Place as a "willing sex robot" alongside two duffle bags full of cocaine.
Derek appears in Chapter 38, after being rebooted half a million times by Mindy St. Claire, he improved to now be wearing a tuxedo, and drink "Classy cocktails", which mainly consist of olives in a martini glass.
Derek appears as the perfect being in the series finale, after being rebooted over 151 million times by Mindy St. Claire. He is a floating head made of stars hovering above a galaxy being orbited by two martini glasses, each containing a smaller version of his head.
Similar to Janet, Derek is very cheerful and upbeat, but far more childlike and less intelligent. But, due to be constantly reset by Mindy, he now has the personality of a somewhat well-educated gentleman, although he still has a few mental kinks. This is until he becomes the most advanced being in existence.
Powers & Abilities
- Teleportation: Derek is able to teleport anywhere in the neighbourhood in an instant either at will or when he is called.
- Omniscience: Being an anthropomorphized database of information, Derek is omniscient.
- Reality Warping: Like a Janet, Derek can build and maintain a neighbourhood and can even create other sentient beings.
- Operating the Train: The only way in and out of a neighborhood is by the train, which only Janet can call and operate.
- Creating such a being should not, according to Michael, be possible for Janet. Being her first creation there are some design flaws, including Derek having no genitals but rather wind chimes as a penis.
- Derek generally appears to be a being like Janet.
- Unlike Janet herself, Derek claims to have a last name, Hofstetler. It is not clear whether he was given this by Janet, or chose it himself, nor is there any obvious reason for it.
- Derek's lines were often translated several times to create what Derek would end up saying.
- In season 2, when Michael presents Janet's boyfriend, Derek presents himself as Derek Hofstetler, a private investigator, this is a reference to another Jason's Mantzoukas character Adrian Pimento a character from Brooklyn 99, another Fromulon show