Good Janet is a subspecies of Janets. They reside in The Good Place to serve the residents, and have a bright and cheery disposition. They are incapable of human emotion (although Michael's Janet, after being rebooted approximately 828 times, developed feelings and abilities unheard of in Janets). The Good Place (Location)
Function[edit | edit source]
Good Janet is a sentient database for The Good Place created by "the Makers of Light, Darkness, and Everything." Good Janets are created at the Janet Warehouse in the Neutral Zone, which is, according to Michael, accessible via Janet Voids, which means that any Good Janet can travel between her neighborhood and the Janet warehouse.
Good Janet exists to serve the Residents in The Good Place in anyway she can. She remains with the Residents of her Neighborhood throughout their eternal stay in The Good Place to conjure up anything they desire.
Uses[edit | edit source]
Janet is used primarily as a personal assistant by the residents of the Good Place. Most people summon her by saying her name. She is able to instantaneously retrieve/create any requested object.
Janet also doubles as an accessible database, as she reportedly has all the knowledge of the universe, and she is 100% confidential, as nobody, including Architects, can retrieve what a user does with Janet.
The only forbidden information she retains is about the Bad Place. Janet is only permitted to play a brief audio clip of what is happening there at the moment of when you ask. However, this was only for Neighborhood 12358W so it may be untrue.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Janet by default has a cheery disposition. She is always courteous and non-judgmental by design. It is impossible to insult her as she cannot feel sad. The only exceptions to these are when she is asked to alter her personality or when she is murdered/reset. If Janet's kill-switch is approached she will begin begging for her life, only to remind whoever approached her kill-switch and desisted upon her beg for mercy that she is neither human nor capable of actually feeling anything.
Powers & Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Teleportation: Janet is able to teleport anywhere in a neighbourhood in an instant either at will or when she is called.
- Omniscience: Being an anthropomorphized database of information, Janet has all possible knowledge that both humans and Immortal Beings possess, as well as additional information that most Immortal Beings do not possess.
- Summon and retrieval: Janet can create/retrieve any item anyone desires at any time in an instant.
- Reality Warping: Janet is responsible for building and maintaining the neighborhood she resides in and at will can alter anything within her neighborhood.
- Compulsory Truth: Good Janets cannot lie, and they cannot "process... or disseminate... information [that is] incompatible with objective truth".
- Operating the Train: The only way in and out of a neighborhood is by the train, which only Janet can call and operate.
- Walkie-Talkie Protocol: Two Janets can be linked together to serve as a long-distance address system, regardless of the Realm in which they are. It is, therefore, one of the few special abilities which Janet retains when outside her Realm.
Variations[edit | edit source]
In addition to the standard blue outfit that most Good Janets wear, there are several variants of Good Janet.
Cats And Dogs Janet[edit | edit source]
The Good Place: The Podcast revealed that there is a Cats&Dogs Good Place. They have a variant of good Janet who was shown in the background of Chapter 47: The Funeral To End All Funerals, who varied the normal Good Janet look with paw prints.
Pre-Activation Good Janet[edit | edit source]
Pre-activation Good Janets have a white outfit devoid of color. They have 2 pre-activation phrases to use:
- "Hello, I'm Janet".
Pre-activation Good Janets do not walk, and instead just hover around and glide on the floor. They can be found in the Janet Warehouse. Pre-Activation Good Janets are activated by holding their nose for 10 seconds. They then load the default Good Janet look. Removing one from the Warehouse results in another Good Janet sliding into place for pickup.
Others[edit | edit source]
Throughout the reboots, Janet of Neighborhood 12358W went through several different appearances. This indicates that they can be customized. Furthermore, in Chapter 47: The Funeral To End All Funerals, several varied appearances of Good Janets were shown.