- "And then I immediately fell into subway tracks and was electrocuted by the third rail. Honestly, not the type of rail I thought was gonna kill me"
- —Mindy recounting her death to Eleanor
Mindy is cocaine-addicted former corporate lawyer in the 1980s who, for most of her life, was a bad person, but she did one incredibly good thing which resulted in her being the only human, and from what has been shown, the only conscious being, ever sent to The Medium Place.
Not much is known about Mindy's life before her death. During the 1980s, she was a corporate lawyer who only cared about money and cocaine. One night, while she was very high on cocaine, Mindy had an epiphany and decided that she needed to do something good with her life and draw up plans for a “global foundation that would help kids all over the world, advance human rights, revolutionize agriculture, and improve every nation and every society in every possible way.”
The next morning, after her coked up night, Mindy went to the bank and withdrew her life savings and was going to start her charity, but she died after falling on subway tracks and being electrocuted by the third rail.
After her death, Mindy's sister found her plans and used her money to start up the Mindy St. Claire Rescue Alliance which became the largest relief aid charity in the world. Both The Good Place and The Bad Place argued over whether or not Mindy should receive credit for the charity. Unable to agree where Mindy should go, the case was taken to the Judge and a compromise was formed: they created a new Neighborhood just for her: The Medium Place. The case was presumably referenced by Gen in Chapter 25: The Burrito when she stated that she hadn't had a case in 30 years–although she was probably going by Earth time rather than afterlife time, as we've seen Neil use this frame of reference in Chapter 36: Janet(s).
- Mindy says that before Eleanor, Jason, and Janet showed up, she hadn't seen or spoken to anyone for over 30 years.
- She and Eleanor are the closest to entering The Good Place in more than 500 years by process of a court case with Judge Gen.
- She likes to walk around her house naked and masturbate at random times.
- She loves cocaine and always requests it from the deceased members of "The Good Place" when they visit, but as they always have had their memories wiped, they never bring her any. In Chapter 17, Eleanor does plan to visit Mindy with a gift of cocaine, but she doesn't go. In Chapter 22, the humans send her a gift of two duffle bags full of cocaine and Derek as a willing sex robot.
- She was surprised how she died, electrocuted by the third rail of the subway tracks. She believes she would have died from a cocaine overdose.
- Mindy is not affected by all the resets that Michael performs in "The Good Place," and she remembers all of the times that the inhabitants in "The Good Place" came to the Medium Place.
- Mindy has been seen gardening to pass time. In the 801 iterations between Eleanor, Jason, and Janet's first visit to Mindy in Chapter 12 and Eleanor, Chidi, and Janet's visit in Chapter 16, the landscaping around Mindy's house becomes much more elaborate. In "Jeremy Bearimy", it's revealed that 300 years have passed.
- Mindy is the only human we have seen in the afterlife other than the four main characters. (However, we have heard the tortured screams of those in The Bad Place).
- Since the four main characters are the first humans to not go immediately to the Good or Bad place Mindy must have been sent to either the Good or Bad Place when she died and then sent to the Medium Place.